forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [USER POLL/VOTE] Defining tabs?
Date Tue, 27 May 2003 10:29:23 GMT
On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 04:49:33PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Jeff Turner wrote, On 26/05/2003 14.30:
>
> >On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 01:54:49PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >>Wouldn't it work equally well if we simply show the children of a
> >>site:xxx link in tabs.xml instead of the dir ones? It would even be less
> >>changes for the users, but maybe I'm missing something.
> >
> >Sorry I'm not following. "children of a site:xxx link in tabs.xml"?
>
> Sorry, I mean that if tabs.xml has a site:x/y/z link, then all the
> children of the //x/y/z element are the ones shown.
>
> Example from ours
>
> site.xml:
> <site ...>
>   <about label="About">
>   </about>
>   <getting-involved label="Getting Involved">
>   </getting-involved>
>   <documentation label="Documentation">
>   ...etc
>

> in tab.xml
>     <tab sitepath="about"/>
>     <tab sitepath="about/download"/>
>     <tab sitepath="getting-involved"/>
>     <tab sitepath="documentation"/>
>
> Basically, what I mean is that it's not necessary to use ids, we can use
> an xpath to site.xml instead.

It sounds nice.  Keeps everything to do with tabs in the tabs file.

I can't see how to implement this though.  Thinking it through..

Step 1) We get given a path (say 'foo/faq.html')

What can we do with this, other than use it to look up a node in
site.xml?  So..

Step 2) We find the node //*[@href='foo/faq.html']

Now we've got this node.  We need to discover the associated tab.

And here's the problem: the implementation demands that the site.xml node
reference the tab, not the other way round.  <tab sitepath="..."> can
only ever be a fiction for the benefit of users.  Underneath, there will
have to be something like the @tab system I've hacked up.

Or so it seems..

--Jeff