forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ENHANCEMENT] from disable to enable....
Date Mon, 12 May 2003 12:08:06 GMT
On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 06:41:06AM -0600, Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> This is my first recommendation for Forrest :)
>
> In skinconf.xml please change the tags like:
>
> a) <disable-search>false</disable-search>

> b) <enable-search>true</enable-search>
>
> The reason is simple:
>
> In a) we are asked with a negation. From a human interface this type of
> question are not recommended. To get what we need we must to answer with a
> negation.
>
> In b) the option is clear. It ask if you want to ENABLE. If I need the
> option we clearly answer is TRUE. Simply easier to answer.
>
> I hope this explanation clear the point.

:) Yes, you're not the first to point this out.  skinconf.xml has always
been a bit of a hack.  It mixes project metadata with Forrest (skin)
configuration settings, and:
 - we need a more comprehensive project metadata format, since not only
   skins are interested in this.
 - there are also config settings in forrest.properties.  Having this
   stuff in two files is obviously bad.

The plan is to get rid of skinconf.xml (probably in 0.6), and have two
files, one for metadata, and the other for configuration.

Changing the polarity of the logic now would require a change in all
third-party skins, so IMHO the cost probably outweighs the gain.

--Jeff