forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest and Form descriptions.
Date Sun, 11 May 2003 06:14:50 GMT
On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 03:41:28PM -0600, Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Hi again!
>
> Sorry, I am too new into the concepts of Forrest. I am writing after
> searching all the doc in the Forrest web site and loking into the document
> 1.2.
>
> Background:
> Well, my job is now writing some specifications of a future web
> application. Currently I wrote all blah-blah of process, etc. Now I have
> some Forms in paper and I need to include this forms into the
> documentation. The idea is to include and describe every field of the
> form. Please note that the Web application is not developed yet.
>
> My question is:
> How can I archieve this?

I don't know.  Would you want forms in the PDF, so they can be printed,
as well as HTML online forms?  Can FOP do forms yet?

> I thinked in write some pure HTML pages that will reflec the form in some
> way, then include the HTML form into the docs.  but I am not sure of that.
> Because this will not be pure XML, just HTML and for me this is not
> correct.

If someone can figure out how to do forms in PDFs, perhaps we could add
forms to doc-v20.

If you don't mind the lack of forms in PDF, you could create a custom DTD
extending doc-v12 but with forms support added.  You can prototype this
by switching off validation (in forrest.properties) and using regular
HTML <form> elements in doc-v12.  Or just *.ehtml files if you don't want
PDFs at all.

> Master, can you show the light about this issue, is my approach correct? ;-)

As correct as anyone else's ;P

--Jeff