forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ¿any recomendations for xml editors?
Date Wed, 07 May 2003 10:21:02 GMT
On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 06:38:27PM +0200, Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> Hi,
> After finish my humble web design using forrest, I wanted to populate
> it with content.
>
> Anyone can give me a hint of a xml editor that I can use from my browser?
>
> Should I create the docs in the v11 format?

I use a regular text editor (vim).  I've found the best way to create
content is:

1) 'forrest run'
2) Edit XML in build/webapp/content/xdocs/*
3) When you think the XML is valid, do a 'forrest validate backcopy', and
correct errors repeat the process until the XML validates.  If your
editor validates XML for you this step is much faster.
4) Check the HTML results at http://localhost:8888/
5) Go to src/documentation/content/xdocs and commit the changes to CVS.
6) goto 2

So build/webapp/* acts as a 'scratchpad' where XML lives while being
edited.  If you totally screw up, you can delete build/webapp/* and start
again.  The 'forrest validate backcopy' ensures that only valid XML gets
back to src/documentation/*

--Jeff