forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Victor Mote" <...@outfitr.com>
Subject RE: directory/menu structure
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 16:21:29 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Hmmm, maybe not.
>
> We are putting too much presentational semantics into the simple data.
> Site just gives us a hierarchical view of our conceptual site space, how
> the skin puts it on the screen is none of its business. On OReily sites
> for example they would have two rows of tabs, in other sites none.
>
> I simply propose that the first level of site.xml is treated as tabs for
> our skins. That's all. And it also solves the problem Stefano outlined
> about a confusing navigation between tabs and menus.

I really, really want to agree with this, and I think it is the right
general concept. However, for a general solution that works with static tabs
& menus, such as the current forrest skin, this implies that you have to
point not only to the correct tab that is associated with a document, but to
/any/ menu concept (tabs, menus, whatever) that should be presented as
"selected". So, in the O'Reilly example, any document that is selected needs
to know not only what tab is selected, but what sub-tab is selected. Since
we are after a general solution, and don't know which levels in the menu
hierarchy are presentable as selected, I think this implies that each
document must identify every ancestor. I don't have a problem with this, I
just wanted to make sure that it is considered.

Victor Mote