forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Bromberger <Vin...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: scalation
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2003 12:12:00 GMT
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 08:05:07PM +0200, Jan Bromberger wrote:
> > Dear forrest dev,
> >
> > at the moment I am creating a tool to automatically generate
> documentation
> > out of an LDAP schema. I thought it might be a good idea to produce
> xdocs and
> > have them formated then by forrest. So first off I wanted to state that
> > like your project.
> >
> > Then again I only have such much time to write this mail to you, because
> it
> > takes about 45minutes to render all pages. There are some 300 object
> classes
> > and 362 attribute definitions, each having its own xdoc file and one
> book.xml
> > for classes, one for attributes. Although I see that this might be not
> the
> > scope of your software and it actually is quite much of data... well: Do
> you
> > have some tuning tips for me?
>
> I hope you're using the webapp mode ('forrest run') to develop the site?
> :)  Waiting 45 mins to see each change would be.. painful.
>
> One of the simplest things to do is remove unused transformers from the
> pipeline.  If you're not using site: links, you can remove linkrewriter.
> If you don't need automatic creation of @id attributes from <title>
> elements, you can remove idgen:

> 497              <map:generate src="content/xdocs/{1}/{2}.xml" />
> 498
> 499              <map:transform type="linkrewriter"
> src="cocoon:/{1}/linkmap" />
> 500
> 501              <map:transform type="idgen" />
>
> idgen is slow (~10% of render time) because it builds a DOM.
> Linkrewriter is slow because the reload check for the cocoon: source is
> done on each link rewrite, and is fairly slow (fixed in CVS Forrest).
>
> Another thing you could try is using a HTTP tool like 'wget' to create a
> static version of the site, instead of the Cocoon command-line, which is
> quite inefficient.  That involves running 'forrest run', and then 'wget
> -r http://localhost:8888'.
>
> Btw, CVS Forrest includes a profiler which lets you isolate how much time
> is taken by each step in the pipeline.

45 minutes for the static site build, sure :) I tried out "forrest war" and
deployed it into tomcat 4.0.6 LE  and "forrest run" but got empty pages for
every request (/, index.html, index.xml, ds8arig.foo, ...). I have been
working with cocoon for some time now but failed to find out any potetial problem
in the sitemap. Is this a known issue? The default wars are running.

In the very end I will have to deploy the documentation statically on a CD
but for debugging and developing purpose it would be nice as a webapp...

Cheers,
Jan

> HTH,
>
> --Jeff
>
> > Cheers,
> > Jan

Bitte l├Ącheln! Fotogalerie online mit GMX ohne eigene Homepage!