forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Bert Van Kets <>
Subject Re: Fixing menus
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 18:58:02 GMT
At 03:00 9/04/2003 +1000, you wrote:
>Lots of people (including me) find Forrest's menus frustratingly limited.
>  - There's an artificial distinction between 'menus' (non-clickable
>    titles) and 'menu-items', which are clickable links.  There must be a
>    strict interleaving of menus and menu-items.
>  - Following on from the above, it isn't possible to say "this node
>    should stay closed until I click on it".
>These are limitations of the book.xml format (which site.xml generates on
>the fly).

IMHO These are limitation of the book2html.xsl.
The current book.xml can have collapsible menus, it's just a matter of
checking to which menu part the current link belongs.
The closed menu labels can then get a link to the first item which makes
them open and show the first page of the menu.

What you are describing is a 2 tier menu system. The book.xml dtd is the
limiting factor here, as it does not allow nested menus.
I am using a non validating Forrest version so added a second level menu
tag, adjusted the book2html.xsl and created collapsible menus in my
personal site without any problem.

Check out

>So I was thinking, how about we ditch book.xml, and instead use Maven's
>navigation.xml format?

In the light of the carefulness of the backward compatibility used when
implementing site.xml, I don't think it would be wise to ditch book.xml.
I'm convinced we can maintain backward compatibility while providing
collapsible menus in book.xml.

View raw message