forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Libre, i18n, <meta> tags (Re: Code cosmetics)
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2003 21:23:24 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 02:57:01PM +0200, Marc Portier wrote:
>
>>3. Vaguely related: part of the code in scratchpad putting this
>>on the agenda is the Libre stuff, since we have the site.xml
>>there seems to be a number of new reasons to revive this thing
>>(generation of that file for larger sites seems like a quick win?)
>

> Yes. I don't think we've scratched the possibilities of a comprehensive
> auto-generated metadata listing (site.xml) for a site.
>
> For example, say we add a <meta> tag to doc-v11, and allow things like:

> So index_en.xml contains value="en", index_de.xml has value="de", etc.
>
> Libre uses these to add a @language attribute to each site.xml node:
>
> <index href="Index" href="index_en.html" language="en">
> <index href="Das Index :)" href="index_de.html" language="de">
> <index href="!@#$%^&*" href="index_cn.html" language="cn">

how/where would you like the libre.conf be expressed then?
(don't mind current stuff, I vagely remember myself)

> Then in a live Cocoon, we could get the same site in different
> languages, simply by filtering site.xml for //*[@language='X'].
>
> Using this principle, we could filter on any metadata:
>
>  - Say Cocoon uses <meta name="cocoon-version" value="2.0 | 2.1 | 2.x"/>
>    to indicate which version of Cocoon a doc applies to.  We can use this info
>    to generate either a 2.0 site or a 2.1 site from the same source.  For
>    example, to get a 2.1 site, filter site.xml for
>    //*[@cocoon-version='2.1'] || //*[@cocoon-version='2.x']
>    Where pages applicable to both 2.0 and 2.1 are marked '2.x'.

mmm, could even be that we have some <and> <or> stuff inside
libre config elements (I remember wanting to do just that, but
never got to it)

>  - We can store a file's 'last modified' date in a meta tag with:

and lot's of other stuff like this, the regex stuff would be
handy here

>    Then we can filter site.xml based on date: "show me all files edited
>    in the last 2 weeks".

the 'whats's new section' and possible candidates for rss feeds...

>>But maybe that usage would rather push it into an Ant Task then a
>>Cocoon Generator?
>

> Don't think so.

you mean, you would let (haven't checked the current details)
site.xml be produced by an internal cocoon pipeline then?

in any case hooking it up in anything should not impose too much
on the thingy itself.

>>Not to mention the fact that "we should ditch this code if there
>>is no usage for it" (and better do that before people think I've
>>parked it over here for you to maintain)
>>
>>So bluntly: Do we see usage? If yes, please elaborate and let's
>>get to it, I'ld like to get in do-mode 'round this.
>

> AFAIK Libre is the best we have for rounding up metadata into a single
> file.  I've just never gotten around to seriously using it.

that's maybe because it has been a technical one shot on some
vague idea in the past (the reused underlaying 'yer' was actually
a grown wild course-exercise), both were not top of mind in the
group...

I have more technical ideas on how to go about doing it today,
and (still) interest in doing it as well, I'ld just hate going in
and doing some l'art pour l'art once again without the use cases
that make the real sense for it.

thx for the one(s) above.