forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Sitemap user visibility and scope in Forrest
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2003 12:55:09 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote, On 15/04/2003 12.33:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 11:22:18AM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Jeff Turner wrote, On 15/04/2003 11.16:

>>>If you can explain exactly what you propose (I've made several wrong
>>>guesses already) that would help.
>>
>>Have that our page layout, that now comprises of header, tabs,
>>navigation, body and footer, also can contain "nuggets", that is small
>>pieces of information. These can be newsfeeds, infos, logos, publicity,
>>whatever. They are not central to a page but are also on it.
>>
>>As we configure tabs out of the sitemap, i want to configure nuggets out
>>too, in the same way. Hence I will have a section:
>>
>> <nuggets>
>>   <nugget src=""/>
>>   <nugget src=""/>
>>   <nugget src=""/>
>> </nuggets>
>>
>>AS we have a tabs.xml, shall we have a nuggets.xml? Dunno, that's yet to
>>decide later . What I want to decide now is that we decide if we want to
>>require users to edit sitemaps to get standard features.
>
> Hold on, you haven't finished explaining your alternative to sitemap
> editing.

It depends on each case in which it will happen.
  Ok, let's talk more about this case, the nuggets.

> So we've got this <nuggets> section sitting somewhere.  What does @src
> specify?  A Cocoon pipeline?  <nugget src="cocoon:/news.xml"/> perhaps?

A Cocoon URI, yes.

  <nugget src="news.xml"/>
  <nugget src="personal/me/mynews.xml"/>
  <nugget src="todo.xml"/>
  <nugget src="changes.xml"/>

> Now what do we do with this <nuggets> XML?

Wait, the result of each nugget is Document11DTD.

We have a nuggets.xsl stylesheet, that works like the menu.xsl stylesheet.
Then the pipeline aggregates them in a nuggets.xml.

The resulting nugget xml is akin to the merged site xml, let's say a
series of divs with class="nugget".

> And my original question: how does the user specify what nuggets a page
> has?  Does it work the same way tabs do; nuggets are on/off depending on
> whether their @href matches the current path?

These are things that are yet to be decided, as the implementation goes
forward. I cannot be too precise on everything as things will come out
during creation.

My initial idea was to say to show them - always, never, or only on the
main page-. We could however add a path="" attribute or something like
that, to scope the polaces it's viewed, but ATM I'd keep it simple and
go for the always-never-once idea, that is the most common in sites.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -