forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE] Sitemap user visibility and scope in Forrest
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2003 07:22:27 GMT

The last discussion on nuggets has shown that there are two possible
roads that Forrest can take.

(a) Make the sitemap a central concept to Forrest, as it is for Cocoon.
    Encourage users to edit the sitemap to change the structure of their
    site.

(b) Hide the sitemap, and add intermediate layers that provide a 'user
    friendly' interface to structural concerns.

Till now, we have mainly gone the route of (a), by creating mechanisms
to keep the sitemap away from users. This makes it easier for them, and
most important makes Forrest easily upgradeable. If users touch the
sitemap, they will have to reedit the one of the new Forrest, going out
of synch and possibly not upgrading Forrest because of it. I don't want
that to happen.

Thus, I ask to vote on this.

Should Forrest pursue the goal of "hiding" the sitemap as in case (a)?
This does not block users to do it, just ensures that we don't *require*
it to happen.

+1

             - verba volant, scripta manent -