forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject [RT] Status.xml, changes.xml, todos.xmlm, news and other descriptors
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:03:32 GMT

Again I want to tackle the status.xml file thing.

Once upon a time we has changes.xml and todo.xml.
Then, since they shared the developers, teh files were integrated.

todo.xml ------\
                 >----- status.xml
changes.xml ---/

But to keep the output as before, it is rendered in Forrest as
changes.html and todo.html

todo.xml ------\   -    -    -     -    /---- todo.html
                 >----- status.xml ----->
changes.xml ---/   -    -    -     -    \---- changes.html

.. which is somewhat wierd.

Then again, we decided to try and add other features to it, like
backward incompatibilities section (that seem to be a used and nice
features) and a voting section (never used, can be zapped).

Now I'm thinking of adding news, and then what... a multi-megabyte
status file?

Jeff already complained that it's too big and pointy ;-) and I really
can't blame him too much. OOTOMH status.xml cannot solve our needs
further, so let's see if there is a better solution.

First of all, why was the single file created?

1) single information point
2) developers are shared between files
3) mimic STATUS file

Let's see.

r-1) A directory can be single enough, for example ./status or ./project
(or in the main dir)
And to make the status visible via viewCVS, we can add a STATUS.html
file that points to these other files and have them use a stylesheet.
Or we can simply add in status.xml pointers to these files (but don't
see the need ATM).

r-2) Never validated and never used. Just remove that part from changes
and todos, and leave both disconnected from that info.

r-3) No xml can replace a text file in unstructured data, so an xml
status file that replaces the STATUS files is not to be considered.

So in the end, I would propose that we don't pursue a single status.xml
anymore, but make them into:

authors.xml (as <developers> but with added homepage links)
changes.xml (without authors section)
todo.xml    (without authors section)
compat.xml  (compatibility-breaks)
issues.xml  (the issue-vote part, remove it ATM because DOA)
news.xml    (the project headline news)

that will reside or in the main dir or in a 'project' or 'status' dir (I
vote for 'status' dir).

Also, we replace the status.xml file with a STATUS.TXT file that is all
text-based, ans that refers to the above xml descriptors for the
structured data, keeping only unstructured extra info about the project.

  --- news ---

Then we have to make a news.xml file.
I look at all the RSS feeds, but I don't like them to be source formats.

I could propose this news DTD, loosly based on RSS 0.91:

<news title="" description="" language="">
   <item>
    <title>shbat fix</title>
     <description>
     <!-- In here Document11 DTD content-->