forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Enhance Forrest sites homepage
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2003 12:31:23 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote, On 14/04/2003 14.05:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 09:32:42AM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Jeff Turner wrote, On 11/04/2003 18.08:
>>>Do I edit the sitemap, adding the
>>>RSS feed inside a <map:aggregate>, or does Forrest provide a layer of
>>>abstraction above this?  I assume a 'layer of abstraction' implies using
>>>CInclude or something, not <map:aggregate>?
>>
>>Yes. It's basically
>>
>>-> get site.xml
>>  -> transform each nugget to an include
>>    -> process the include
>>      -> aggregate with the main page
>

> Mm.. sounds a bit hacky to me.  Does this magic apply to all pages, or
> just index.html?

I was starting to ask this too on this list ;-)
As for KISS, sinece I need it on the main page, and in many sites it's
only on the main page or on all, I would make it "mainonly||all||none".

> What if I want to pull a RSS feed into my news.html
> page instead of index.html?  Or if I want to do some RSS preprocessing
> (perhaps merge multiple feeds)?

This is another thing. I want to display nuggets of information on the
site, taken from document11DTD files. It's up to Cocoon to provide them,
so I can have normal pages, rss feeds, or whatever.

What is needed is is to make Forrest render rss feeds as document11DTD
pages, but that's easy.

> Why not just let users add a <map:part src="cocoon:/news.xml"/> to the
> sitemap's <map:aggregate>

I think it's not immediate enough for most users. Besides, nuggets sould
be a standard feature, exactly like the logos we can show-hide, etc.

>, and add some special handling for <div
> class="news"> content in site2xhtml.xsl?

That sure. We need a special case for showing news in skins, and I would
do as you suggest.

> It's more flexible, and control
> over page composition is kept in the sitemap where it belongs.

Why more flexible? We are already aggregating the navigation without
making our users tinker with it, and I would want the same for these
"nuggest". They can also be other menus, help, whatever, not only news.
That's why I call them nuggets.

Our pages would have:

- logos
- search
- navigation (tabs, navs)
- credits
- content
- nuggets
- footer

All the above should be configured in the same manner. Hence since the
other ones are in skinconf, we should put the nuggets there too for
consistency, now that I think of it (not site.xml as I previously thought).

As we can disable or not search, credits, etc, we shouold be able to do
it with nuggets.

Look at it from a user perspective, and it makes IMHO sense.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -