forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Enhance Forrest sites homepage
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:46:15 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote, On 11/04/2003 9.41:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 05:55:10PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Usually homepages are a bit more detailed than other pages of a site,
>>and have extra infos like news, resources, feeds, etc.
>>
>>For example, one of the original mockups of Stefano had such a sction:
>>http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xml-forrest/src/resources/layout/xml.apache.org/home.html?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/html
>>What do you guys think, shall I give it a shot?
>
> How would it work?  Is it just a once-off hack for the front page?

Hmmm, I'm not sure what you mean by "once-off hack"... it's intended to
run only on the homepage. It works by aggregating infos from the
status.xml and gump descriptor.

>Is the 'news' content generated from a special pipeline?

Yes. We have already in status the changes and todos, we also need the
news. Changes go RSS already, and so would news.

It will be trivial for Cocoon to aggregate from them in the next step :-D

> Perhaps we could have a special pipeline for multi-pane pages:
>
>       <map:match pattern="index.html">
>         <map:aggregate element="site">
>           <map:part src="cocoon:/tab-{1}.xml"/>
>           <map:part src="cocoon:/menu-{1}.xml"/>
>           <map:part src="cocoon:/body-{1}.xml"/>
>           <map:part src="cocoon:/body-news-{1}.xml"/>
>           <map:part src="cocoon:/body-calendar-{1}.xml"/>
>         </map:aggregate>
>         <map:call resource="skinit">
>           <map:parameter name="type" value="site2xhtml.xsl"/>
>           <map:parameter name="aggregated" value="true"/>
>           <map:parameter name="path" value="{0}"/>
>         </map:call>
>       </map:match>

Yes, this is the basic idea.

I'm not sure though if I should use news and calendar... I was thinking
of calling them "nuggets", and aggregate them. Se we can have a news
nugget, a calendar nugget, etc.

For Sourceforge we could have an "include" nugget that includes info
from the sf project page.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -