forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: directory/menu structure
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 14:03:36 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote, On 08/04/2003 15.33:
> On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 02:34:35PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Jeff Turner wrote, On 08/04/2003 14.11:
>>
>>>I think having a @tab attribute would solve this problem.  We could say
>>>that @tab works like namespaces: inherit from the parent, unless defined.
>>>
>>><menu tab="Foo">
>>>  <!-- These menu items all have @tab="Foo" -->
>>></menu>
>>><menu tab="Bar">
>>>  <!-- @tab="Bar" -->
>>>  <menu href="special/index.html" tab="Foo">
>>>    <!-- This entry has overridden @tab="Foo" -->
>>>  </menu>
>>></menu>
>>>
>>>Would that work?
>>
>>Hmmm, maybe not.
>>
>>We are putting too much presentational semantics into the simple data.
>>Site just gives us a hierarchical view of our conceptual site space, how
>>the skin puts it on the screen is none of its business. On OReily sites
>>for example they would have two rows of tabs, in other sites none.
>

> Okay, think of it as giving each page a classification (@class instead of
> @tab).  Skins may choose to indicate a page's classification however they
> want.

Yes, I reckoned this, but the classification is, as Stefano said and as
I reckon, the same as the hierarchy. Putting tabs that are nested in the
hierarchy is not something that should be done IMHO.

Do you think there is a real need of nested tabs? IMHO they confuse
navigation. Tabs should be separate conceptual contexts.

>>I simply propose that the first level of site.xml is treated as tabs for
>>our skins. That's all. And it also solves the problem Stefano outlined
>>about a confusing navigation between tabs and menus.
>
> Hm.. wouldn't work currently, because our top-level entries are menus
> without links.  Non-clickable tabs aren't much use.
 >
> Methinks we need to generalise our menu data model (i.e. book.xml)
> first..

Yup, that was implicit. Do is at you prefer, as long as they become
clickable it's fine with me.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -