forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: directory/menu structure
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 12:34:35 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote, On 08/04/2003 14.11:
> I think having a @tab attribute would solve this problem.  We could say
> that @tab works like namespaces: inherit from the parent, unless defined.
>
> <menu tab="Foo">
>    <!-- These menu items all have @tab="Foo" -->
> </menu>
> <menu tab="Bar">
>    <!-- @tab="Bar" -->
>    <menu href="special/index.html" tab="Foo">
>      <!-- This entry has overridden @tab="Foo" -->
>    </menu>
> </menu>
>
> Would that work?

Hmmm, maybe not.

We are putting too much presentational semantics into the simple data.
Site just gives us a hierarchical view of our conceptual site space, how
the skin puts it on the screen is none of its business. On OReily sites
for example they would have two rows of tabs, in other sites none.

I simply propose that the first level of site.xml is treated as tabs for
our skins. That's all. And it also solves the problem Stefano outlined
about a confusing navigation between tabs and menus.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -