forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Navigation problem
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:46:59 GMT
On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 04:02:22PM +0200, Ines Robbers wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm still struggling with a navigation problem:
>
> Here is the site:
> http://marina.rz.uni-potsdam.de:8080/~robbers/test/home/index.html

Your server on 8080 isn't responding:

telnet marina.rz.uni-potsdam.de 8080
Trying 141.89.70.105...
telnet: connect to address 141.89.70.105: Connection timed out

> Take 'Studieninteressierte' and 'Studierende' as an example.
>
> They both link to 'Studien-News'. Since I don't want to duplicate this
> file and stick one copy into the folder 'studieninteressierte' and the
> other into 'studierende', I placed it into a folder 'studnews'.
>
> In site.xml I therefore link from both locations to the same file.
> However, the link now leads out of the folder 'studieninteressierte' /
> 'studierende', hence when I am on 'Studien-News' the respective
> navigation is gone.
>
> I tried it with placeholders inside each folder which then redirect to
> the actual 'studnews' folder but that doesn't work.
>
> Is there any other way I can link from several locations to the same
> file and keeping the respective menu?

Let me see if I understand.  If we have:

dir1/index.html
dir2/index.html
somefile.html

You want a link to 'somefile.html' in both index.html files.  Is that
right?

Yet you want the HTML in somefile.html to magically change tabs,
depending on what linked to it? :)

I think what you're looking for is HTML frames, so the top frame,
containing the tabs, doesn't change, and only the body changes.  In
Forrest, each page contains a static version of the menu and tabs.  One
page can never have two different tab settings.

--Jeff