forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: document-v12 - Forrest 0.5
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2003 15:57:39 GMT
On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 04:20:47PM +0200, Johan Andries wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been reading about a possible Forrest 0.5 release. Sounds like a good idea because
a lot of features have been added/fixed, but can I make a couple of remarks though?

> - when using tables with several columns, the result shows really nice
> in html (column width equals the width of the largest word) but this is
> not true in the generated pdf. All columns have equal width in pdf and
> when a large continuous word is entered in a column it goes all beyond
> the boundary of the column.

I think that working out table column widths is FOP's job.  Currently our
document2fo.xsl stylesheet hardcodes the widths.  Perhaps just removing
that and upgrading FOP will fix this.  Will try it this w/end.

> - the patch done by Steven about putting images under a /my-images dir
> perhaps still needs a little more cleanup. It works perfectly! But:
> leaves a big directory structure behind when creating a static website.
> Under each directory where a /my-images directory is used a directory
> will be present which reflects the physical location of the directory
> where /my-images is put in. Of course this isn't crucial - its presence
> doesn't disturb the website at all...

Yes, I discovered this the hard way last night, when the forrestbot
committed half of cocoondev.org's directory structure to Apache CVS :)
I've done a bit of preliminary digging, but haven't figured out what's
going wrong.

> Besides this directory, error messages like the one below are generated
> for each image that is present under the /my-images directories (and
> these error messages seem to be related with the forementioned
> "not-cleaned-up" directory:
>
> -> [broken page]
> /home/forrest_admin/projects/wdcit/build/tmp/context/content/xdocs/projecten/wqm_v1/my-images/Overzicht
> WQM.gif <-
>
>      Resource not found file:/home/forrest_admin/projects/wdcit/bu
>      ild/tmp/context/content/xdocs/home/forrest_admin/projects/wdc
>      it/build/tmp/context/content/xdocs/projecten/wqm_v1/my-images
>      /Overzicht WQM.gif
>
> but still - a pretty nice patch it was! :) ...Perhaps we're the only
> ppl who are using this /my-images feature but I wanted to report it
> anyway...

my-images/ seems rather hacky.  Hopefully we'll get to the stage where
content isn't separated by type, so images and XML can live alongside
each other.

--Jeff