forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: menu in a new tab
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2003 15:59:38 GMT
On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 10:58:03PM +0200, Ines Robbers wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Can someone tell me why I have to use a book-menu for other tabs? Why
> not a site.xml?
> Is it correct that when I have a tab "HowTo" that I stick its content
> into a folder "howto" inside xdocs?

Roughly correct.  The tabs.xml file defines which tab belongs to which
directory.

> Why can it not be on the same level as the "Home" tab?
> Arent't both tabs sort a different versions of the same thing, sort of
> equal in hierarchy?
> Maybe I'm getting something wrong...

Nope, it's a common feature request, to 'decouple' the tab selection from
the physical directories.

> Is there a way to define all menus of all other tabs in xdocs/site.xml?

How do you propose it work?  Currently we've had suggestions:

 - All top-level site.xml elements form tabs (Nicola)
 - Add an inheritable @tab='...' attribute.
 - Simply add a <tab label="..."> element.

The logic for deciding which tab is 'on' is all in tab2menu.xsl.  At
worst, you could hack the XSLT to switch tab X on when page {a,b,c,d}.xml
is being displayed, tab Y when {e,f,g,h}.xml displayed, and so on.

--Jeff