forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Sitemap user visibility and scope in Forrest
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:16:52 GMT
On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 09:22:27AM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> The last discussion on nuggets has shown that there are two possible
> roads that Forrest can take.
>
> (a) Make the sitemap a central concept to Forrest, as it is for Cocoon.
>    Encourage users to edit the sitemap to change the structure of their
>    site.
>
> (b) Hide the sitemap, and add intermediate layers that provide a 'user
>    friendly' interface to structural concerns.
>
> Till now, we have mainly gone the route of (a), by creating mechanisms
> to keep the sitemap away from users.

Did you mean (b) here?  AFAIK we have not created any intermediate layers
on top of the sitemap.

> This makes it easier for them, and
> most important makes Forrest easily upgradeable. If users touch the
> sitemap, they will have to reedit the one of the new Forrest, going out
> of synch and possibly not upgrading Forrest because of it. I don't want
> that to happen.
>
> Thus, I ask to vote on this.
>
> Should Forrest pursue the goal of "hiding" the sitemap as in case (a)?

Again, don't you mean (b) "Hide the sitemap"?

> This does not block users to do it, just ensures that we don't *require*
> it to happen.

Not sure exactly what you're asking a vote about.  Currently, everything
'structural' about a site is determined in the sitemap.  This includes:

 - URI structure (*.xml pipelines define most pages, plus special cases
   like {todo,changes}.html)
 - page structure (each page composed of menu + tabs + body).

Now with 'nuggets', it seems you want to make page structure configurable
in something other than the sitemap.  Seems conceptually wrong to me, but
does have the advantage of not requiring a sitemap edit.  If you can
explain exactly what you propose (I've made several wrong guesses
already) that would help.

--Jeff