forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: pdf issue: lists within lists
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:48:10 GMT
On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 01:08:41PM +0200, Johan Andries wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've stumbled upon a quite specific issue: when creating an <UL> or <OL>
directly within another <UL> or <OL>, the "sublist" doesn't show up in the generated
PDF's. When using a list with list items and another list encapsulated within a list item
itself, the PDF is generated correctly. In other words (using two little examples)

> In this example, the sublist will not show up in the generated pdf
>  <ul>
>         <li>item 1</li>
>
>         <li>item 2</li>
>
>         <ul>
>           <li>item 2-1</li>
>
>           <li>item 2-2</li>
>         </ul>

This looks like a DTD bug.  The HTML DTD doesn't allow nested <ul>'s or
<ol>'s:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/lists.html#edef-UL

> </ul>
>
> This example on the other hand will have the desired result in PDF
>       <ul>
>         <li>item 1</li>

>         <li>item 3</li>
>       </ul>
>
> Both documents are valid for the Document DTD. I'm using the Forrest
> skin. The issue persists with other combinations (UL with encapsulated
> OL, OL with encapsulated UL, UL-UL and OL-OL). In the generated HTML
> everything looks perfect though...!

I've changed the stylesheet in CVS so that:

<ol>
  <li>blah</li>
</ol>

emulates the browser rendering, which is:

  1. Hello
  1. World
1. blah

--Jeff