forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Enhance Forrest sites homepage
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2003 12:05:08 GMT
On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 09:32:42AM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Jeff Turner wrote, On 11/04/2003 18.08:
> >On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 05:41:03PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >>So, given the above, I need to make a pipeline that gets data from Gump
> >>descriptor, from news, and I'm done with the "get the data" part.
> >>
> >>In site.xml then we would have OTOMH a <nuggets> section with each
> >>nugget as a url, which can be from out of Cocoon or even internal to
> >>Cocoon.
> >
> >So as a user, how do I configure my Sourceforge site's home page to have
> >inline content from a news RSS feed?
>
> Add the URL to the nuggets section in site.xml.
>
> >Do I edit the sitemap, adding the
> >RSS feed inside a <map:aggregate>, or does Forrest provide a layer of
> >abstraction above this?  I assume a 'layer of abstraction' implies using
> >CInclude or something, not <map:aggregate>?
>
> Yes. It's basically
>
> -> get site.xml
>   -> transform each nugget to an include
>     -> process the include
>       -> aggregate with the main page

Mm.. sounds a bit hacky to me.  Does this magic apply to all pages, or
just index.html?  What if I want to pull a RSS feed into my news.html
page instead of index.html?  Or if I want to do some RSS preprocessing
(perhaps merge multiple feeds)?

Why not just let users add a <map:part src="cocoon:/news.xml"/> to the
sitemap's <map:aggregate>, and add some special handling for <div
class="news"> content in site2xhtml.xsl?  It's more flexible, and control
over page composition is kept in the sitemap where it belongs.

--Jeff