forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Enhance Forrest sites homepage
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2003 07:41:27 GMT
On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 05:55:10PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Usually homepages are a bit more detailed than other pages of a site,
> and have extra infos like news, resources, feeds, etc.
>
> For example, one of the original mockups of Stefano had such a sction:
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xml-forrest/src/resources/layout/xml.apache.org/home.html?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/html
>
> I have done a very similar thing for Krysalis, by injecting
> Sourceforge's pages with shtml includes:
> http://www.krysalis.org/index3.shtml
>
> As you can see, the project indications on the right are much more
> visible than the ones nested in teh page sections.
>
> I would like to add these infos to the main pages of Forrest sites, and
> make these useable similarly to the search box (ie disable=false stuff
> in skinconf).
>
> There would be sections taken from gump's descriptor, if present, and
> sections taken from status.xml.
>
> What do you guys think, shall I give it a shot?

How would it work?  Is it just a once-off hack for the front page?  Is
the 'news' content generated from a special pipeline?

Perhaps we could have a special pipeline for multi-pane pages:

      <map:match pattern="index.html">
        <map:aggregate element="site">
          <map:part src="cocoon:/tab-{1}.xml"/>
          <map:part src="cocoon:/menu-{1}.xml"/>
          <map:part src="cocoon:/body-{1}.xml"/>
          <map:part src="cocoon:/body-news-{1}.xml"/>
          <map:part src="cocoon:/body-calendar-{1}.xml"/>
        </map:aggregate>
        <map:call resource="skinit">
          <map:parameter name="type" value="site2xhtml.xsl"/>
          <map:parameter name="aggregated" value="true"/>
          <map:parameter name="path" value="{0}"/>
        </map:call>
      </map:match>

--Jeff