forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fixing menus
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2003 07:04:52 GMT
On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 08:58:02PM +0200, Bert Van Kets wrote:
> At 03:00 9/04/2003 +1000, you wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Lots of people (including me) find Forrest's menus frustratingly limited.
> >Notably:
> >
> > - There's an artificial distinction between 'menus' (non-clickable
> >   titles) and 'menu-items', which are clickable links.  There must be a
> >   strict interleaving of menus and menu-items.
> >
> > - Following on from the above, it isn't possible to say "this node
> >   should stay closed until I click on it".
> >
> >These are limitations of the book.xml format (which site.xml generates on
> >the fly).
>
> IMHO These are limitation of the book2html.xsl.
> The current book.xml can have collapsible menus, it's just a matter of
> checking to which menu part the current link belongs.
> The closed menu labels can then get a link to the first item which makes
> them open and show the first page of the menu.

So using FOP as an example, if we have:

        <menu label="Using FOP">
          <menu-item label="Running" href="running.html"/>
          <menu-item label="Embedding" href="embedding.html"/>
          <menu-item label="Ant task" href="anttask.html"/>
          <menu-item label="Output Formats" href="output.html"/>
          <menu-item label="Compliance" href="compliance.html"/>
          <menu-item label="Implemented" href="implemented.html"/>
          <menu-item label="Limitations" href="limitations.html"/>
        </menu>

Does clicking on the 'Using FOP' label give you the running.html page?
That isn't terribly intuitive..

> What you are describing is a 2 tier menu system. The book.xml dtd is the
> limiting factor here, as it does not allow nested menus.
> I am using a non validating Forrest version so added a second level menu
> tag, adjusted the book2html.xsl and created collapsible menus in my
> personal site without any problem.

Yes, actually the book.xml XML that site.xml generates doesn't validate
either.

> Check out www.dream-models.com.
>
> >So I was thinking, how about we ditch book.xml, and instead use Maven's
> >navigation.xml format?
>
> -1
> In the light of the carefulness of the backward compatibility used when
> implementing site.xml, I don't think it would be wise to ditch book.xml.
> I'm convinced we can maintain backward compatibility while providing
> collapsible menus in book.xml.

Oh yes, book.xml would still be there.  We can keep backwards-compability
by internally translating book.xml into the more flexible intermediate
format.

--Jeff