forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: directory/menu structure
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 15:21:26 GMT
On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 04:03:36PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Jeff Turner wrote, On 08/04/2003 15.33:

> >>Hmmm, maybe not.
> >>
> >>We are putting too much presentational semantics into the simple data.
> >>Site just gives us a hierarchical view of our conceptual site space, how
> >>the skin puts it on the screen is none of its business. On OReily sites
> >>for example they would have two rows of tabs, in other sites none.
> >

> >Okay, think of it as giving each page a classification (@class instead of
> >@tab).  Skins may choose to indicate a page's classification however they
> >want.
>
> Yes, I reckoned this, but the classification is, as Stefano said and as
> I reckon, the same as the hierarchy. Putting tabs that are nested in the
> hierarchy is not something that should be done IMHO.

Oh I see.  So using top-level nodes as tabs incidentally enforces this
no-nested-tabs principle.  I don't mind, but the problem is then, how
does one indicate that a top-level node *isn't* also a tab?  Look at
Forrest's site.xml; do we really want tabs for 'about',
'getting-involved', 'documentation', samples', 'community' and