forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: directory/menu structure
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 13:33:06 GMT
On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 02:34:35PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Jeff Turner wrote, On 08/04/2003 14.11:
> >I think having a @tab attribute would solve this problem.  We could say
> >that @tab works like namespaces: inherit from the parent, unless defined.
> >
> ><menu tab="Foo">
> >   <!-- These menu items all have @tab="Foo" -->
> ></menu>
> ><menu tab="Bar">
> >   <!-- @tab="Bar" -->
> >   <menu href="special/index.html" tab="Foo">
> >     <!-- This entry has overridden @tab="Foo" -->
> >   </menu>
> ></menu>
> >
> >Would that work?
>
> Hmmm, maybe not.
>
> We are putting too much presentational semantics into the simple data.
> Site just gives us a hierarchical view of our conceptual site space, how
> the skin puts it on the screen is none of its business. On OReily sites
> for example they would have two rows of tabs, in other sites none.

Okay, think of it as giving each page a classification (@class instead of
@tab).  Skins may choose to indicate a page's classification however they
want.

> I simply propose that the first level of site.xml is treated as tabs for
> our skins. That's all. And it also solves the problem Stefano outlined
> about a confusing navigation between tabs and menus.

Hm.. wouldn't work currently, because our top-level entries are menus
without links.  Non-clickable tabs aren't much use.

Methinks we need to generalise our menu data model (i.e. book.xml)
first..

--Jeff