forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Recursive resolution of URIs
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 12:59:48 GMT
On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 10:02:44PM -0400, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> I tried rebuilding the Avalon Fortress docs with the current version of
> Forrest, however I ran into a strange problem.  Instead of choking on
> the "api/" link like it did in the past and creating an error page, it
> rebuilds the website inside the "api/" directory.  Once inside the the
> "api/" directory it repeats the problem again "api/api/" and so on and
> so forth.

I've fixed this in Avalon CVS by preventing the Cocoon CLI from trying to
crawl the <link href="api/"> link.  Typing 'forrest' in the fortress/
directory should build the docs without errors.

FYI, there is now a stylesheet,
avalon/src/documentation/resources/filterlinks.xsl, which is responsible
for filtering out all URLs that Forrest shouldn't touch, like api/*

Also, there was a bug in the avalon-tigris skin, which caused undefined
'unselected-tab-href' errors.  I've just fixed this, so you'll need to
cvs up Forrest.

On the Forrest side of things, the general problem seems to be Cocoon's
handling of links to nonexistent directories.  If I add <link
href="api/"> to Forrest's own index.xml, I get lots of NPEs for
index.html *and* various subsequent pages:

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.cocoon.environment.AbstractEnvironment.release(AbstractEnvironment.java:475)
        at org.apache.cocoon.generation.FileGenerator.recycle(FileGenerator.java:90)

I suspect that if the Cocoon CLI has a bug where if an error occurs
(nonexistent api/ directory), it doesn't release the used components.

> If I hit Ctrl+C to break ANT's involvement, the Forrest task is still
> running in the background so it is happily building the site recursively
> "api/api/api/api/api/api/api/api/api/api/api/...." until I manually
> kill the process.

That's odd.  Ctrl+C always kills Ant and fork="true" subprocesses for me.

--Jeff