forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: directory/menu structure
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 12:11:30 GMT
On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 12:25:45PM -0600, Victor Mote wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote (on April 01, 2003):
>
> > As for menus, does site.xml offer enough flexibility?
>
> Sorry to be so slow responding. After playing with it for a bit, the short
> answer is "no". IMO, the web site is simply a "view" of the documentation,
> and its structure should be independent of the physical arrangement of the
> content files.

Not particularly relevant to the tabs discussion but..

The website is already completely independent of filesystem structure.
We have a Cocoon sitemap.xmap file that does the mapping.  site.xml has
no effect on the actual URI space - it just defines the menu.

> So, preferably, the site.xml would have something like this
> (I posted something similar in a previous message, but am expanding on it a
> bit here):
>
>   <site>
>     <tab>
>       <menu>
>         <menu-item>
>         <menu-item>
>       </menu>
>       <menu>
>       </menu>
>     </tab>
>     <tab>
>     </tab>
>   </site>

Yes, that could be done.  Hmm.. perhaps a tab attribute would work better
than a custom element?

<menu tab="Foo">
</menu>
<menu tab="Bar">
</menu>

Tabbiness is more a property of a node (and it's children) than a
separate thing.  Can't have a tab without an associated page.

> After thinking about this for a while, I see that the problem is that a
> document could appear in more than one menu, which could be ambiguous in
> terms of building a menu & tab bar for it.

I think having a @tab attribute would solve this problem.  We could say
that @tab works like namespaces: inherit from the parent, unless defined.

<menu tab="Foo">
   <!-- These menu items all have @tab="Foo" -->
</menu>
<menu tab="Bar">
   <!-- @tab="Bar" -->
   <menu href="special/index.html" tab="Foo">
     <!-- This entry has overridden @tab="Foo" -->
   </menu>
</menu>

Would that work?