forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Changing menu depth of krysalis skin
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2003 14:37:19 GMT
On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 01:00:27PM +0100, Schlierf, Stephan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I checked out the latest avaible cvs-version to try out the new
> krysalis skin.
> What I would like to do now is to change the menu depth of this skin.
> To give you an example:
> What I would like to have is something like
>
> Tab 1   Tab 2   Tab 3
> On Tab 1:
> Menu
>    Submenu
>       Subsubmenu
>          Subsubsubmenu
>          Subsubsubmenu
>       Subsubmenu
>          Subsubsubmenu
>          Subsubsubmenu
>    Submenu
> Menu
>    Submenu
>       Subsubmenu
>
> and so on where menu entries should be identical to tabs - I mean, they
> should create the tabs.
> And every tab should have the same menu.
> As sggested in the "menus and linking" document I played around with
> site.xml in my project directory:
>
> <site label="MWT" href="" xmlns="http://apache.org/forrest/linkmap/1.0">
>
>     <home label="Home">
>         <homeindex label="Überblick"  href="index.html"/>
>     </home>
>
>     <methods label="Methodenhandbuch">
>         <intro label="Einführung" href="methods/Einleitung.html"/>
>         <vorgehensmodell label="Vorgehensmodell"
> href="methods/Vorgehensmodell.html"/>
>         <analysemodell label="Modelle der Analysephase"
> href="methods/ModelleAnalysephase.html"/>
>         <designmodell label="Modelle der Designphase"
> href="methods/Design.html"/>
>
>     <design_gl label="Design-Richtlinien">
>         <aufgabenziele label="Aufgaben &amp; Ziele"
> href="methods/gl_design/AufgabenZiele.html">
>             <aufgaben label="Wesentliche Aufgaben" href="#designaufgaben"/>
>             <designprodukte label="Produkte des Designs"
> href="#designprodukte">
>                 <designmodell label="Das Design-Modell"
> href="#designmodell"/>
>                 <designklassen label="Design-Klassen"
> href="#designklassen"/>
>                 <usecasedesign label="Design der
> Anwendungsfall-Realisierung" href="#designanwendungsfall"/>
>                 <subsystemdesign label="Design der Subsysteme"
> href="#subsystemdesign"/>
>                 <interfaces label="Schnittstellen" href="'#interfaces"/>
>                 <architecturedesign label="Architekturbeschreibung (Sicht
> des Design-Modells)" href="#architecturedesign"/>
>                 <verteilungsmodell label="Verteilungsmodell"
> href="#verteilungsmodell"/>
>                 <architectureappl label="Architekturbeschreibung (Sicht der
> Applikationsverteilung)" href="#architectureappl"/>
>             </designprodukte>
>         </aufgabenziele>
>     </design_gl>
>     </methods>
> </site>
>
> But I face the following problems:
> 1) The "#..." menu items are not displayed.

That's a bug, which I've just fixed.

> 2) As far as I understand the "menus and linking" document, the "home" and
> "methods" tags will create the tabs, but they don't.

No, they're not meant to.  Tabs are defined separately from the menu,
in tabs.xml, not site.xml.

If you want, it certainly is possible to generate tabs.xml from
site.xml.  I've got it prototyped locally.  But tabs are links, and
top-level site.xml elements generally don't have @href attributes:

   <methods label="Methodenhandbuch">
        <intro label="Einführung" href="methods/Einleitung.html"/>

Here, what should the 'Methodenhandbuch' tab link to?  Perhaps the
@href of the first child, 'methods/Einleitung.html'?  Does this always
make sense?  What if the first entry is a sub-menu, also without a
@href?

Currently, there is a bigger problem in Forrest menus: there is a
strict separation between "menus", which are non-clickable labels, and
"menu-items", which are clickable links.  menu-items must be inside a
menu.  So if you have:

>         <aufgabenziele label="Aufgaben &amp; Ziele"
> href="methods/gl_design/AufgabenZiele.html">
>             <aufgaben label="Wesentliche Aufgaben" href="#designaufgaben"/>
>             <designprodukte label="Produkte des Designs" href="#designprodukte">

Then "Aufgaben & Ziele" will be rendered non-clickable.

Once this bug is fixed (by getting rid of the old book.xml syntax),
other problems like generating tabs from site.xml become more
tractable.

--Jeff