forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Sitemap user visibility and scope in Forrest
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2003 08:26:55 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
> > Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >
> >>The last discussion on nuggets has shown that there are two possible
> >>roads that Forrest can take.
> >>
> >>(a) Make the sitemap a central concept to Forrest, as it is for Cocoon.
> >>   Encourage users to edit the sitemap to change the structure of their
> >>   site.
> >>
> >>(b) Hide the sitemap, and add intermediate layers that provide a 'user
> >>   friendly' interface to structural concerns.
> >>
> >>Till now, we have mainly gone the route of (a), by creating mechanisms
> >>to keep the sitemap away from users.
> >
> > Did you mean (b) here?
>
> Yes, sorry.
>
> >AFAIK we have not created any intermediate layers
> > on top of the sitemap.
>
> site.xml
> skinconf.xml
> all the informal skin definitions
> etc
>
> >>This makes it easier for them, and
> >>most important makes Forrest easily upgradeable. If users touch the
> >>sitemap, they will have to reedit the one of the new Forrest, going out
> >>of synch and possibly not upgrading Forrest because of it. I don't want
> >>that to happen.
> >>
> >>Thus, I ask to vote on this.
> >>
> >>Should Forrest pursue the goal of "hiding" the sitemap as in case (a)?
> >
> > Again, don't you mean (b) "Hide the sitemap"?
>
> Yes.
>
> >>This does not block users to do it, just ensures that we don't *require*
> >>it to happen.
> >
> > Not sure exactly what you're asking a vote about.
>
> Never to require users to fiddle with sitemaps to config a standard
> Forrest feature.

I am still confused about b's and a's ... Anyway, i like the
visibility of sitemap just as it is now. Forrest provides a sitemap
and for most projects i just let Forrest use its own. For other
projects i need to a few extra matches, e.g. i have two documents
that need full DocBook xsl applied. So i copy the sitemap and add
my matches. Actually i would prefer to have a supplementary sitemap
so that i do not need to keep my sitemap in sync with Forrest main
sitemap. But that is hard so i accept that i must copy and edit the
sitemap.

Anything that makes it easy for me to configure certain things
outside of the sitemap is good, as long as it does not confuse
the concerns of the sitemap.

I would like certain other configuration information to be able
to be used within the sitemap, e.g. i need a parameter that points
to the filesystem location of my DocBook XSL stuff at
/usr/local/share/sgml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets/

--David