forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: [RT] Enhance Forrest sites homepage
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2003 02:25:05 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Usually homepages are a bit more detailed than other pages of a site,
> and have extra infos like news, resources, feeds, etc.
>
> For example, one of the original mockups of Stefano had such a sction:
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xml-forrest/src/resources/layout/xml.apache.org/home.html?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/html

I would still prefer that the Forrest home page talks about the
Forrest project itself rather than talking about the websites
that it provides services for. This information is good, but
it should be on another tab section of the site.

> I have done a very similar thing for Krysalis, by injecting
> Sourceforge's pages with shtml includes:
> http://www.krysalis.org/index3.shtml
>
> As you can see, the project indications on the right are much more
> visible than the ones nested in teh page sections.

I do not see anything at all on the right-hand table, just a grey
background, and the text about Wings stretches over into that table.

All of the content is down the middle of the page.

> I would like to add these infos to the main pages of Forrest sites, and
> make these useable similarly to the search box (ie disable=false stuff
> in skinconf).
>
> There would be sections taken from gump's descriptor, if present, and
> sections taken from status.xml.
>
> What do you guys think, shall I give it a shot?

Yes. However, i get concerned that that will lead to the impression
that Forrest is only for building Apache web sites. Please be sure
to maintain our broad scope.

--David