forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Victor Mote" <...@outfitr.com>
Subject RE: custom formatting / css
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 19:48:31 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:

> Sorry for the slow reply!  Started reading, got distracted, then forgot
> to pick it up..

No apology needed.

> So to get a custom HTML format, you would simply delete everything from
> the transform down, and replace it with:
>
>    <map:transform src="resources/stylesheets/compliance2html.xsl"/>
>    <map:serialize type="xml"/>
>
> Note that compliance2html.xsl has to have a root tag of <div
> class="content">.  This allows the resultant HTML to be merged with the
> menu and tabs.  If it doesn't work, try 'forrest run', and then request
> http://localhost:8888/body-compliance.xml, and see what's actually being
> produced.

Thanks -- I'll work on that here shortly. And your answer also gives me a
piece of the puzzle I didn't understand before :-)

> > 3. Is there a mechanism for getting css code and/or references passed
> > through the document-v11 document? I have noted the thread with
> Peter West
> > about embedding ehtml documents, but I am under the impression
> that would be
> > for <body> contents. IIUC, the custom DTD has nothing to do
> with this, but
> > this is rather a general question that would apply to any document-v11
> > document.
>
> There isn't yet.  Perhaps there should be a 'class' attribute allowed,
> with the ability to define an add-on CSS stylesheets.

The beauty of that approach is that the CSS could be used only to override
things in the standard skin. Otherwise, what I will end up with is either 1)
a page that doesn't look like the others, or 2) a fair amount of formatting
work that will have to be redone if the skin changes. I guess a third
alternative is that if the skin uses CSS to do most of its work, then I
could pull that in to my document -- I haven't looked at this possibility,
but I will.

Thanks again.

Victor Mote