forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Oliver Alth" <OA...@de.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Forrest on OS/390
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2003 16:05:45 GMT

Hello,

although im a little bit frustrated by now because I have been working
for several days on this problem, I would be happy if we could get forrest
running
on OS/390, because it should be used to document a couple of projects.

Could you move the whole topic over to the cocoon-users list and tell me
how I can get on this list (subscription and so on)?

I have been thinking about this default jvm setting. Isn't there any
possiblity to
set the default encoding to UTF-8 (e.g. by setting a variable in the
.profile)

Oliver

IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH, Schönaicher Str. 220, D-71032 Böblingen
eServer Software Management, D4357, Intern: 7103-06, Tel. 902-2790,
Tel.: ++49-(0)7031-16-4280, Fax.: 07031-16-2790
Internet: OALTH@DE.IBM.COM

|         |           Jeff Turner      |
|         |           <jefft@apache.org|
|         |           >                |
|         |           18.03.2003 14:12 |
|         |           forrest-dev      |

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 10:39:13AM +0100, Oliver Alth wrote:

> Hello Jeff,
>
> I replaced the Xerces with 2.3 version, but it didn't help.
>
> I am not converting those xml files, i just unpack them on USS.
> Just the script files forrest, ant, and so on have to be converted to
> EBCDIC, otherwise they cannot be executed. So the files are ASCII. I
> just checked the xconf File with a hex editor. I can't find the x85
> (NEL) nor the 2028 unicode.

> Setup...FATAL_E 2003-03-18 09:38:14.352 [        ] (): Exception caught
> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Content is not allowed in trailing
section.
>         at

org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.java:1189)

>         at

org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.DefaultConfigurationBuilder.build(DefaultConfigurationBuilder.java:223)

>         at

org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.DefaultConfigurationBuilder.build(DefaultConfigurationBuilder.java:192)

>         at org.apache.cocoon.Main.main(Main.java:390)

That bit of code is reading an XML file, WEB-INF/logkit.xconf

I think the problem is that your default JVM encoding is set to EBCDIC,
and somewhere in the software stack (Xerces, Avalon, Cocoon), the byte ->
char encoding isn't explicitly set to UTF-8, so it defaults to EBCDIC and
breaks.  Here is a good page describing this stuff:

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/software/java/javafaq.html

So it depends on how badly you want to get Cocoon (Forrest is just a
layer on top) working on OS/390 :)

If you simply want to get some HTML from XML, and don't have time to
fight Avalon/Cocoon encoding issues, you might want to look at simpler
tools like Anakia (http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/anakia.html), which
are currently building www.apache.org.

If you really want to use Cocoon and Forrest, and don't mind being the
Cocoon-OS/390 guinea pig, I'm very happy to help debug these issues and
commit fixes.  We should move over to the cocoon-users list then, as it's
not Forrest-specific.

--Jeff