forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Koberg" <...@koberg.com>
Subject RE: Usability news website
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2003 14:50:02 GMT
Hi,

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
> Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 4:44 PM
> To: forrest-dev@xml.apache.org
> Subject: Usability news website

They are well written tests. But, you need to do usability testing on your
product. You generally can't generalize :)

> I found this really cool site about website usability:
> http://wsupsy.psy.twsu.edu/surl/usabilitynews/51/usability_news.html
>
> I especially liked:
>
>   The Impact of Paging vs. Scrolling on Reading Online Text Passages
>   (scrolling wins, we don't need to add paging ;-)

12 subjects all under 40, average age 23... hmmmm

>   Breadcrumb Navigation:  An Exploratory Study of Usage
>   (how it's not really used, but just adds visual context)
>
>   Cascading versus Indexed Menu Design
>   (how our left menus are not so bad)

Have you ever witnessed (though unobstrusive veiwing methods) average people
using computer based UIs? It is very disheartening...

best,
-Rob