forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Usability news website
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2003 16:05:52 GMT

Konstantin Piroumian wrote, On 26/03/2003 16.59:
> Just wonder why don't you like the JavaScript version of menu?
> See it here: http://cvs.apache.org/~kpiroumian/forrest/page.html

Because

  - on text-only browsers it would make the site unusable.
  - it still doesn't address the "stacker" proposal I made and tend to
be interested in ATM.
  - it transfers much more bytes at every request.
  - it can be tricky to get it working well in all browsers.

As I said in a previous post, javascript menus are excellent when you
have a framed design, so that they offload the server and reduce
bandwidth. They are good also in intranet-application designs, less so
in sites like the ones we want to do IMHO.

NOTE: please snip off the parts of the mail that are not strictly needed
to convey context.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -