forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Usability news website
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:02:03 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> BTW, I cannot get CSS to remove the icons for list
> items or to use the right one for the selected item... see if you can
> find out.

don't use <li> for those. use simple divs.

There are few problems with your skin, even if I think it's going in the
right direction and it's more polished than the forrest-site one.

Note that these are always very close to be subjective preferences, so
don't think of it as a critic, but as random suggestions.

1) there is no visual semantics coherence between hyperlinks. The
navigation bar is all hyperlinked, but you find out only with mouseovers.

A good tip is never to use mouseover as a way to discover properties of
a particular resource. visual context should be coherent and immediately
informative.

2) the link-visited color is too light.

A good tip is to take a snapshot of your page, turn it into grayscale
and see how much 'contrast information' you are passing along. it has
been shown in usability feedbacks that 'luminance' conveys much more
information than 'crominance'.

Expecially in text, where people are used to very few levels of contrasts

3) the section bars are too big. you don't need more than one pixel to
indicate separation. everything else is abusing precious screen space.

4) I would place the logo buttons on the left but down the very bottom
of the page so that they are visible, but not intrusive.

5) I would make the font sizing +/- appear more as buttons to convey the
visual information that they are clickable (this goes along with #1 but
note that this is not a hyperlink so it should not be indicated with the
same visual semantic)

6) I would leave a space between the very last paragraph and the
copyright bar. This increases readability of the last paragraph.

7) the media="print" properties of the CSS has to be tweaked to remove
the logos and to put the published date in the better position.

Stefano.