forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Usability news website
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:33:10 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 23/03/2003 15.54:
>
>> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>
>>> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote

>> 1) fonts should be user customizable, just like on devedge (trivial
>> javascript to link from every page that modifies dynamically the CSS
>> depending on user needs)
>

> Done on krysalis skin.

cool.

> [Disclaimer: I've always done these mods on the krysalis skin only not
> to disrupt uders of the Forrest one.

Fair enough.

> Also, since the Forrest one will
> switch to CSS and I don't want the krysalis one to switch, they will
> remaon separate anyway.]
>
>> 2) the page sections should be added to the left bar, as Nicola
>> suggests, but with a visible way to indicate a difference between a
>> page and a section. I would use a 90% font, a lighter color and a
>> different point icon.
>>
>> 3) the location path should remain above everything to give context. I
>> like the suggestion of using the bar below the tabs to indicate 'local
>> navigation hints'.
>

> ATM I was using italics, but have changed per your suggestion on
> krysalis skin. I've also done another tweak by surrounding it with a
> border (it looks a bit like a small page), tell me what you think of it.

I like the concept. It's pretty cool. Even if it, strangely enough, give
me a broken left border (only the left one!) on Camino.

> I also kept the nesting to one flat level only (much clearer), and
> commented the nesting one out in the site2html.xsl stylesheet.
>
> Check the CVS version and http://www.krysalis.org/centipede/index.html
> to see what is best. BTW, I cannot get CSS to remove the icons for list
> items or to use the right one for the selected item... see if you can
> find out.

Ok, will take a look.

>> 4) the information about copyright, last published and tools used has
>> been forced to be at the bottom. I would like to move them each in a
>> different location:
>>
>>  - copyright at the bottom
>

> ok

you left the publication date and the w3c buttons there.

>>  - buttons at the very bottom of the leftbar (could well be in the
>> white zone after the navigation bar is finished
>

> At first I thought 'it sucks'. Then I said 'not so much'. Now I'm on
> 'let's try it'. Did it on the krysalis skin. Not bad after all. It would
> also be nice for 'get java'-like icons for java projects.

well, why don't we make those buttons configurable so that one can add
whatever he/she wants?

>>  - publication date in a visible location (at the bottom of the
>> leftbar, but still in the blue zone)
>

> There it's not visible. Put it on the right of the krysalis skin tabbar
> for now, seems ok.

I like it.

>>> These are basically changes that I felt that the Forrest skin should
>>> somehow have, taken from things that users have told me. What do you
>>> think about it? Can we use some of these changes in the base Forrest
>>> one?
>>

>> Sure. The forrest skin is there for us to experiment with different
>> ways of doing stuff to converge to the most efficient one. Nothing is
>> carved in stone.
>

> I'm doing changes on the krysalis one for now. We will backport all that
> seems sensible enough.

since the logos and the colors are incorrect, what about creating a
forrest-site-2 skin and work on that instead? or maybe work directly on
the main one, what do others think about this?

>>> BTW Steven's idea is nice.
>>

>> Which one?
>

> ME==sucker, it was Konstantin 8-)
> Sorry, K-pal!
>
> « Overview                      How to use Forrest »

yes, I like this very much.

>>> Ok.
>

> Fixed in both krysalis and forrest skins.
>
> Also made the selected tab more evidently higher and put the tabs
> nearer, as per your mockup

Nice. thank you.

> (I liked it better on these aspects).

i spent a lot of time polishing those details.

>>> Yeah, we know, it needs fixing.
>>

>> ok, is the todo list actively maintained here?
>

> not from me 8-)

anybody else?

Stefano.