forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Preparing DTD changes (was: Re: Steven's Terrible Commit (Re: cvs commit: xml-forrest/src/resources/schema/dtd document-v11.mod))
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 16:47:01 GMT

Steven Noels wrote, On 24/03/2003 17.12:
> On 21/03/2003 16:53 Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>  > Here's the list I'd like to see Steven commit ;-)
>
> Let me see...
>
>  >    -------------------------------------------
>  >      -> means make the change
>  >      nothing means it's already the same
>  >      X means let's change later
>  >      ? means ok id done now or later
>  >    -------------------------------------------
>  >
>  >   '-----------------'---------------------------------------'
>  >   |  XHTML2 WD2     |       current document11 DTD          |
>  >   '-----------------'---------------------------------------'
>  >  *XHTML  Structure Module*
>  >
>  > X    html              document
>  > ->   head              header
>
> Any reason?

None other than getting nearer to HTML (ie no reason to keep the
difference).

>  >      title             title
>  >      body              body
>  >
>  >
>  >   *XHTML Text Module*
>  >
>  > ?     abbr              * (requested by users via dictionary links)
>
> OK.
>
>  >       acronym          acronym
>  > ?     address           * (requested by users)
>  > ?     blockquote        *
>  > ?     cite              *
>
> 4 * OK
>
>  >       br  (deprecated)  br
>  >       code              code
>  > ?     dfn               * (requested by users via dictionary links)
>  > X     div               footer, legal  (requested by skinners)
>
> We have sections already... where should they be 'hung up'? At the
> block-level (paras, lists, etc)

The Common collection:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-text.html#sec_8.17.

>  >       em                em
>  > X     h                 title
>
> Nope, please not.
>
>  > ?     kbd               * (needed, currently we misuse "code" instead)
>
> OK - although I would support them both...?

Of course, code is already included in the previous points.

>  > X     line              br
>  >       p                 p
>  > X     |                 fixme   (with class attribute)
>  > X     |                 note    (with class attribute)
>  > X     |                 warning (with class attribute)
>
> What do we do here? I like these.

X == keep as-is for now.

>  > ->    pre               source
>
> Hm...

We are misusing source as pre.

>  > ?     quote             *
>
> You want quote or blockquote? How about cite?

? = dunno. quote is what is in XHTML2 draft.

>  > ?     samp              * (needed, currently we misuse "source" instead)
>  >       section           section
>  > X     span              *  (requested by skinners)
>
> And pass-through

X = let's defer.
I'd like to see both div and span with passthrough in the second pass.

>  >       strong            strong
>  > ?     var               * (needed, currently we misuse "code" instead)
>
> OK.
>
>  >    *XHTML Hypertext Module*
>  >
>  > ->     a                 link (already decided to reduce)
>  > ->     |                 jump (already decided to reduce)
>  > ->     |                 fork (already decided to reduce)
>  > ->     |                 anchor
>
> Yep, will do some clean-up.
>
>  >   * XHTML List Module*
>  >
>  >      dl                dl
>  >      dt                dt
>  >      dd                dd
>  > X     nl                * (makes multilinks possible, very cool)
>  > X     name              * (part of nl spec)
>  >      ol                ol
>  >      ul                ul
>  >      li                li
>  >
>  >
>  >    *XHTML Linking Module*
>  >
>  >      link element      book.xml
>  >
>  >      Metainformation Module
>  >
>  > ->      meta             abstract (never used)
>  > ->      |                authors
>  > ->      |                person
>  > ->      |                subtitle (never used)
>  > ->      |                type     (never used)
>  > ->      |                version
>  > ->      |                notice   (never used)
>
> Please clarify (I used abtract, subtitle, and notice in some docs already).

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-meta.html#s_metamodule

Example:

"
   <head>
       <title>How to complete Memorandum cover sheets</title>
  </head>
"

>  >     *XHTML Object Module*
>  >
>  > X      object           img
>  > X      |                icon   (never used)
>  > X      |                figure (never used)
>
> I've been using figure already, and most of us did, I assume...

X == keep as-is for now. We could maybe zap 'icon' though now that I
think of it.

>  >   *XHTML Presentation Module*
>  >
>  > X     hr               *
>  >       sub              sub
>  >       sup              sup
>  >
>  > Easy to add.
>
> Yep.

Note: easy to add later if we will need it. X = not for now.

>  >    *XHTML Tables Module*
>  >
>  >      caption           caption
>  >      table             table
>  > ->   tbody             *
>  >      td                td
>  >      th                th
>  > ->   thead             * (needed, currently misusing caption)
>  > ->   tfoot             * (needed, currently misusing other tags)
>  >      tr                tr
>
> Also OK.
>
> Other comments?
>
> </Steven>