forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Preparing DTD changes (was: Re: Steven's Terrible Commit (Re: cvs commit: xml-forrest/src/resources/schema/dtd document-v11.mod))
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 16:12:02 GMT
On 21/03/2003 16:53 Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

 > Here's the list I'd like to see Steven commit ;-)

Let me see...

 >    -------------------------------------------
 >      -> means make the change
 >      nothing means it's already the same
 >      X means let's change later
 >      ? means ok id done now or later
 >    -------------------------------------------
 >
 >   '-----------------'---------------------------------------'
 >   |  XHTML2 WD2     |       current document11 DTD          |
 >   '-----------------'---------------------------------------'
 >  *XHTML  Structure Module*
 >
 > X    html              document
 > ->   head              header

Any reason?

 >      title             title
 >      body              body
 >

 >   *XHTML Text Module*
 >
 > ?     abbr              * (requested by users via dictionary links)

OK.

 >       acronym          acronym
 > ?     address           * (requested by users)
 > ?     blockquote        *
 > ?     cite              *

4 * OK

 >       br  (deprecated)  br
 >       code              code
 > ?     dfn               * (requested by users via dictionary links)
 > X     div               footer, legal  (requested by skinners)

We have sections already... where should they be 'hung up'? At the
block-level (paras, lists, etc)

 >       em                em
 > X     h                 title

Nope, please not.

 > ?     kbd               * (needed, currently we misuse "code" instead)

OK - although I would support them both...?

 > X     line              br
 >       p                 p
 > X     |                 fixme   (with class attribute)
 > X     |                 note    (with class attribute)
 > X     |                 warning (with class attribute)

What do we do here? I like these.

 > ->    pre               source

Hm...

 > ?     quote             *

You want quote or blockquote? How about cite?

 > ?     samp              * (needed, currently we misuse "source" instead)
 >       section           section
 > X     span              *  (requested by skinners)

And pass-through

 >       strong            strong
 > ?     var               * (needed, currently we misuse "code" instead)

OK.

 >    *XHTML Hypertext Module*
 >
 > ->     a                 link (already decided to reduce)
 > ->     |                 jump (already decided to reduce)
 > ->     |                 fork (already decided to reduce)
 > ->     |                 anchor

Yep, will do some clean-up.

 >   * XHTML List Module*
 >
 >      dl                dl
 >      dt                dt
 >      dd                dd
 > X     nl                * (makes multilinks possible, very cool)
 > X     name              * (part of nl spec)
 >      ol                ol
 >      ul                ul
 >      li                li
 >

 >    *XHTML Linking Module*
 >
 >      link element      book.xml
 >
 >      Metainformation Module
 >
 > ->      meta             abstract (never used)
 > ->      |                authors
 > ->      |                person
 > ->      |                subtitle (never used)
 > ->      |                type     (never used)
 > ->      |                version
 > ->      |                notice   (never used)

Please clarify (I used abtract, subtitle, and notice in some docs already).

 >     *XHTML Object Module*
 >
 > X      object           img
 > X      |                icon   (never used)
 > X      |                figure (never used)

I've been using figure already, and most of us did, I assume...

 >   *XHTML Presentation Module*
 >
 > X     hr               *
 >       sub              sub
 >       sup              sup
 >
 > Easy to add.

Yep.

 >    *XHTML Tables Module*
 >
 >      caption           caption
 >      table             table
 > ->   tbody             *
 >      td                td
 >      th                th
 > ->   thead             * (needed, currently misusing caption)
 > ->   tfoot             * (needed, currently misusing other tags)
 >      tr                tr

Also OK.

Other comments?

</Steven>