forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Usability news website
Date Sun, 23 Mar 2003 14:54:59 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>> This said, I think there are a few issues with the current forrest
>> skin that I would like to see addressed:
>>
>> for a reference look at the original design here:
>>
>> http://www.betaversion.org/~stefano/software/forrest/1.3/page.gif
>>
>> 1) the light-blue used-to-be-for-pagination bar is occupying too much
>> important space if we don't have pagination, we should think about
>> removing it or, at least, reducing its size.
>

> Yes. Also the fonts are IMHO too big. Look at
> http://www.krysalis.org/centipede/index.html to see a different use of
> that bar, smaller fonts, and the page sections added to the left-bar
> navigation.

Yes, I noticed your skin and I think you have very good points, at the
same time the argument, in light of

http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsource/2003/devedge-redesign/

and given

http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsource/2002/wired-interview/

inspired by

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0%2C1284%2C55675%2C00.html

I think that:

1) fonts should be user customizable, just like on devedge (trivial
javascript to link from every page that modifies dynamically the CSS
depending on user needs)

2) the page sections should be added to the left bar, as Nicola
suggests, but with a visible way to indicate a difference between a page
and a section. I would use a 90% font, a lighter color and a different
point icon.

3) the location path should remain above everything to give context. I
like the suggestion of using the bar below the tabs to indicate 'local
navigation hints'.

4) the information about copyright, last published and tools used has
been forced to be at the bottom. I would like to move them each in a
different location:

  - copyright at the bottom
  - buttons at the very bottom of the leftbar (could well be in the
white zone after the navigation bar is finished
  - publication date in a visible location (at the bottom of the
leftbar, but still in the blue zone)

> These are basically changes that I felt that the Forrest skin should
> somehow have, taken from things that users have told me. What do you
> think about it? Can we use some of these changes in the base Forrest one?

Sure. The forrest skin is there for us to experiment with different ways
of doing stuff to converge to the most efficient one. Nothing is carved
in stone.

> BTW Steven's idea is nice.

Which one?

>> 2) the tab above do not have the single black pixel below. this is
>> visually misleading.
>

> Ok.
>
>> 3) the leftbar should not open all levels, but only first two and the
>> one that ones at the level that is currently visible.
>

> Yeah, we know, it needs fixing.

ok, is the todo list actively maintained here?

>> 4) the use of the triangles indicates a visual semantics of opening
>> the tree (as used in macosx, for example).
>
> Ok.

good

>> Moreover, and even more important:
>>
>>  THE TABS SHOULD NEVER OVERLAP IN NAVIGATION!!!
>>
>> currently, the forrest web site is very poor in respect to this. tabs
>> should be indicating completely orthogonal concerns and thus site areas.
>

> This concept got muddied with the new site.xml.
> On this list there has been a very cool proposal from a user, that has
> also posted an example lately.
>
> He discussed the points very well, and I have the sensation that there
> is good stuff there. Would you like to lead on this and bring it to
> practice? It would be cool.

Sure.

Stefano.