forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Lucene integration
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:35:40 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

>> Some issues I'd like to discuss before that:
>

> (the usual Steven-forgets-to-put-all-thoughts-in-one-mail pattern)
>
> Related, I was wondering how we feel about PDF indexing and searching
> (searching _externally_supplied_ PDFs), using http://www.pdfbox.org/
> (LGPL). I queried the PDFBox author already about changing the license.

I had some problems with pdfbox and received in certain cases
OutOfMemoryExceptions.
I think one reason was that if you copy a PDF by ftp as text instead as
binary (I know you shouldn't do that, but ...).

Well, anyway, I think Ben Lichtfield is aware of certain problems and
tries to fix them.

I currently use XPDF (http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/), which is very
stable and fast, but unfortunately not Java

Thanks

Michael