forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: WYSIWYG editing: a proposal
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2003 14:00:02 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

> More, more!
>
> The only remaining plug in my book is hoping for XXE to come up with a
> browser applet editor. XXE rocks and already loads the crap-Authentix
> test Docbook document MANY times faster than Authentix itself.

Really? I've been constantly disappointed with XXE: I don't like the UI
and I don't like the fact that you need to know XML to use it. It might
well be that this time they are doing it right, and it might well be
that it was me not being able to use it at its best. Still, I don't see
this as a solution for non technical users.

My point is that HTML editing is now a solid technology, with proven
products and frameworks (see how easy it was for Mozilla to implement
Composer on top of Midas), cross-browser and multi OS, so as of now it
looks to me as the more robust solution. Not clean, just robust: I'm
perfectly aware, though, that this XML->XHTML-<-XML roundtripping is
just a hack. But if it works, ATM I'm pretty happy with it. :-)

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino
Pro-netics s.r.l.