forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject WYSIWYG editing: a proposal
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2003 13:23:02 GMT

Tired of endless days looking for a good solution for Joe A. User to
edit XML content, we finally decided to try to hack our way through.

The result is currently available for a "sneak peek" on
http://www.pro-netics.com:8008/index.html for Mozilla 1.3b users and
possibly IE (click on "Edit this document" to see it in action). Don't
expect too much, it's still quite buggy, but is seems like it might be a
viable solution once some quirks are sorted out.

Some words of warning:

1. you might need to reload your page to have the editor working, I
don't know why and it never happened to me on other test machines...
probably it has to do with network latency and javascript quirks;

2. please don't edit the front page, use the sandbox to play with the
editor (I will however regenerate it from time to time);

3 there are bugs with images (easy to fix), section handling (a PITA)
and list items (weird). Plenty of them. Actually this is little more
than an untested proof of concept so don't hold your breath; :-)

4. I can't really assure that the server will be up 24/7, since it's
unattended (it's just a "forrest run" from my shell account, and I have
to leave shortly).

This said, I'd be glad to have some feedback and possibly donate this
set of hacks to the Forrest community if you are interested. We plan to
work further on this, and would be glad both to contribute to the
community effort and to get some help on the way. :-)

Awaiting for your comments,

--
Gianugo Rabellino
Pro-netics s.r.l.