forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Dynamic sitemaps
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 16:01:34 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

> match pattern="**.*"
>   mount src="mountablecontenttypes/{2}" uri-prefix=" "
>                                                     ^
> don't know what to put in here ---------------------|

did some further thinking....

we have 2 issues at hand when processing and responding a request:

1) sourcetype-aware preparation of a mid-tier format
2) mediatype generation (skinning, PDF and friends)

the idea of using sitemaps is to offer better extensibility to our
end-users, so how about stretching this idea, having:

1) a set of input sitemaps, each of them responsible for bringing a
specific input source format to a Forrest-processable mid-tier format,
basically a set of cocoon:/ addressable sources producing mid-tier stuff

2) a set of output sitemaps, each of them responsible for massaging the
mid-tier format into the desired output media type (PDF, HTML, and
whatnot) - the output sitemap is selected by some URI formalism (to not
mention 'extension' ;-)

Hm.... I'll think some more about this. It could well be I'm just
exploring how loud Stefano's FS bells can ring, of course.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org