forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Dynamic sitemaps
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 15:04:53 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>> - We need a way to assemble a sitemap, pulling in only the snippets that
>>   the user needs.  Eg, most people don't need the community/* support, or
>>   XML from DTDs, or Forrest's JIRA feed.
>

> Yeah. Seems like blocks to me.

The block design (as it stands right now) doesn't include sitemap
conditioanl capabilities, even if it is possible to do so by providing a
way for the sitemap to fall back if a resource doesn't exist.

Currently, there are no optional dependencies in the block concept: if a
block depends on that block, cocoon has to make it available or that
block won't run.

We might think of 'optional blocks' and have a precise way for teh
sitemap to fall back in case you are referring to a resource that is
contained into an 'optional' block.

That would make the conditionals if-resource-exists totally transparent
and wouldn't require additional semantics, and will make us stay away
from the evil dynamic sitemap FS!

What do you think?