forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: preservelastmodified in copy-xdocs and webapp target
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2003 06:42:15 GMT
On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 06:07:28PM +0100, Georg.Ragaller@nse.de wrote:
> Hello,
> I met a problem, when using the 'run' and 'backcopy' targets.
>
> My understanding of the 'backcopy' target is, that it should
> assist me in some kind of round-trip, when editing the
> xdocs in the webapp directory. I.e. after succesful editing and
> online viewing, its possible to copy back the EDITED files in
> my source tree.
>
> The current implementation of the forrest.build.xml does NOT
> preserve the timestamps when performing the two stage copy process
>
> ${project.xdocs-dir} to ${project.ctxt-dir}/content/xdocs  [copy-xdocs]
> ${project.ctxt-dir} to ${project.webapp}                   [webapp]
>
> A following 'backcopy' then copies back ALL xdocs, because they are
> always newer than the src.

Yes, you're right.  Thanks, I'll apply the changes.

Though, just to confirm: doesn't 'backcopy' still work moreorless the
same?  The critical thing is that:

 - Files modified in build/webapp/content/xdocs/* are copied back
 - Files modified in src/documentation/content/xdocs are NOT overwritten

I assume the timestamp preservation is just an optimization, not fixing
any brokenness in the above..

> Then it works as I expected it.
>
> Is my understanding correct or did I miss something?
>
> --- Schorsch
>
> P.S.: Thanks to the forrest people for this nice framework!

Thanks :)

--Jeff