forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest on OS/390
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2003 13:12:00 GMT
On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 10:39:13AM +0100, Oliver Alth wrote:

> Hello Jeff,
>
> I replaced the Xerces with 2.3 version, but it didn't help.
>
> I am not converting those xml files, i just unpack them on USS.
> Just the script files forrest, ant, and so on have to be converted to
> EBCDIC, otherwise they cannot be executed. So the files are ASCII. I
> just checked the xconf File with a hex editor. I can't find the x85
> (NEL) nor the 2028 unicode.

> Setup...FATAL_E 2003-03-18 09:38:14.352 [        ] (): Exception caught
> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Content is not allowed in trailing section.
>         at
> org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.java:1189)
>         at
> org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.DefaultConfigurationBuilder.build(DefaultConfigurationBuilder.java:223)
>         at
> org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.DefaultConfigurationBuilder.build(DefaultConfigurationBuilder.java:192)
>         at org.apache.cocoon.Main.main(Main.java:390)

That bit of code is reading an XML file, WEB-INF/logkit.xconf

I think the problem is that your default JVM encoding is set to EBCDIC,
and somewhere in the software stack (Xerces, Avalon, Cocoon), the byte ->
char encoding isn't explicitly set to UTF-8, so it defaults to EBCDIC and
breaks.  Here is a good page describing this stuff:

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/software/java/javafaq.html

So it depends on how badly you want to get Cocoon (Forrest is just a
layer on top) working on OS/390 :)

If you simply want to get some HTML from XML, and don't have time to
fight Avalon/Cocoon encoding issues, you might want to look at simpler
tools like Anakia (http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/anakia.html), which
are currently building www.apache.org.

If you really want to use Cocoon and Forrest, and don't mind being the
Cocoon-OS/390 guinea pig, I'm very happy to help debug these issues and
commit fixes.  We should move over to the cocoon-users list then, as it's
not Forrest-specific.

--Jeff