forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <>
Subject Re: Forrest on OS/390
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2003 02:11:11 GMT
On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 06:01:16PM +0100, Oliver Alth wrote:
> Hello,
> I just tried the debug option and forrest says:
> Setup...FATAL_E 2003-03-17 16:56:01.441 [        ] (): Exception caught
> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Content is not allowed in trailing section.
>         at
> org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(
>         at
>         at
>         at org.apache.cocoon.Main.main(
> file:///u/uni1/apache-forrest-0.4-bin/ Java returned:
> 1
> Could this be the cocoon configuration file located in the WEB-INF dir?

Is that the full stack trace?  AFAIK, doesn't parse anything,
just invokes the Cocoon object.

> Do you know what the SAX Parse Exception means?

Not really.  'content' means "anything the SAX parser didn't expect",
which in your case is likely to be a character in a wrong encoding.

Actually, the problem might be that the XML is saved with NEL linefeeds,
which XML 1.0 doesn't recognize.  Here's part of the introduction for XML

  "In addition, XML 1.0 attempts to adapt to the line-end conventions of
  various modern operating systems, but discriminates against the
  conventions used on IBM and IBM-compatible mainframes. As a result, XML
  documents on mainframes are not plain text files according to the local
  conventions. XML 1.0 documents generated on mainframes must either
  violate the local line-end conventions, or employ otherwise unnecessary
  translation phases before parsing and after generation. Allowing
  straightforward interoperability is particularly important when data
  stores are shared between mainframe and non-mainframe systems (as
  opposed to being copied from one to the other). Therefore XML 1.1 adds
  NEL (#x85) to the list of line-end characters. For completeness, the
  Unicode line separator character, #x2028, is also supported."

So if this is the issue (a HEX editor should confirm), then using the
latest Xerces parser ( might

> Oliver

View raw message