forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Why resources/images? (Re: Foreign html + javascript links + .js file)
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:31:00 GMT
On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 11:53:24PM +1000, Peter B. West wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> Attached are the diffs of the changes I made to get the
> resources/scripts files to be picked up.

I've never really understood the historical reason for 'resources' being
different from 'content'.

Wouldn't it have the same effect to put these things in content/scripts?

IMHO, anything that gets served to the user is 'content', and anything
that helps produce content (XSLT, DTDs, catalog files) are 'resources'.

But this is not the original plan, or we wouldn't have resources/images/

So a question for everyone: are there any reasons for resources/images/,
or can we deprecate it in favour of content/images/?

> I also had a lot of fun trying to work out why some of my .ehtml files
> would be recognised, while others generated empty files.  The
> difference turned out to be that the <HTML/> tags were upper case.

:/  Well we could turn on JTidy when parsing *.ehtml.  Simply a matter of
changing:

<map:generate src="content/xdocs/{../1}.ehtml"/>

<map:generate type="html" src="content/xdocs/{../1}.ehtml"/>

However I found that JTidy doesn't like/expect input to contain the <?xml
version="1.0"?> XML declaration, so it would break backwards-compat.
JTidy is generally yucky - wish someone would add support for NekoHTML.

--Jeff