forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Lucene integration
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2003 11:19:02 GMT
On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 11:29:36AM +0100, Steven Noels wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'd like to give Lucene a whirl, making it a standard part of Forrest.

Sounds good.  The Wiki search is very useful.

> Some issues I'd like to discuss before that:
>
>  - making it an optional part
>
> Lucene makes no sense in the CLI mode of Forrest, and I'm wondering how
> I could make this integration switchable:

>     - make the post URI of that search form box parametrisable, so that
> people don't have to edit the skinconf to switch between CLI en webapp
> targets
>     - prevent the search pipelines to be accessible in CLI mode
> (although I shouldn't bother to much about that, I guess - the Views
> should make that transparent)

Hmm. Is Lucene able to generate indexes, or is it purely a search engine?

I think the Cocoon CLI sets a User-Agent header, so we could have a
selector which uses it to send different output if the CLI is requesting
the page.

>  - for cleanliness purposes, I'm thinking to put this in a subsitemap:
> I'd like your thoughts on this, too.

A subsitemap would be best if possible.  Over the last few days I've been
rewriting the sitemap to be modular and strictly layered:

LAYER 1       |   (each format or subdir handler in its own sub-sitemap)
*.xml         |
   various    |    docv11     faq    howto    docbook   community/*  ....
   xml types  |       \        |       |         |         /
                         DOCUMENT-V11 INTERMEDIATE FORMAT
LAYER 2       |                /       |               \
 Intermediate |    **body-*.xml     **menu-*.xml      **tab-*.xml
 HTML formats |               \        |               /
LAYER 3       |                     \|/       \|/
  Output      |                   *.html     *.pdf
  formats     |

The goal is to be able to add a new source format simply be dropping a
new <format>.xmap file.  For instance, to support 'aggregate' pages
(merging multiple XML sources), drop in a sitemap that defines
cocoon:/merged-files.xml, and link to merged-files.html.

The next step is to divide the 'support' files up into modules.  Eg, only
the dtdx.xmap file needs nekopull.jar and dtdx2flat.xsl, so that can be a
downloadable unit.  Lucene (1.6mb unfortunately) could be another module.

This new sitemap mostly works, but a Cocoon bug is breaking the site:
link resolution.  I'm currently trying to upgrade Cocoon, which is being
a PITA.  If Lucene also needs a Cocoon upgrade you might want to wait
till I'm done.

--Jeff