forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: images in local dirs -- solved
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2003 14:44:11 GMT
On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 02:28:47PM +0100, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> On 06.03.2003 14:14:30 Jeff Turner wrote:
> > >  PS: what is the current situation with images in PDFs?
> >
> > There's two aspects:
> >
> >  - Last I tried, FOP from CVS gave some NPEs when run with Forrest, and
> >    got alignments wrong, and this prevented us from using it.  Quite
> >    likely things have since improved.
> >  - To use the latest FOP, Forrest needs a hacked Cocoon jar.  When I
> >    tried to synch with the latest Cocoon a few days ago, performance fell
> >    by ~30% and various pages failed in odd ways, so I didn't commit.
> >
> > In other words, I have my head in the sand hoping problems in FOP and
> > Cocoon will go away by the time I next try them.  For now, the only thing
> > to do is hand-generate the PDFs :/
>
> If you're talking about "FOP from CVS" we need to separate the
> maintenance branch (where the current releases comes from) and the trunk
> (where the redesign happens). AFAIK the hacked Cocoon jar is only
> necessary for the redesigned FOP. If you used FOP 0.20.5rc2
> (or from CVS tag "fop-0_20_2-maintain") I think it should work out of
> the box with Cocoon (though I haven't tried).

Neither had I until now =)  Unfortunately 0.20.5rc2 doesn't work:

08:22:55.994 WARN!! GET /primer.pdf HTTP/1.1
java.io.IOException: Broken pipe
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(Native Method)
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:91)
        at org.mortbay.http.NullableOutputStream.write(NullableOutputStream.java:119)
        at org.mortbay.http.BufferedOutputStream.bypassWrite(BufferedOutputStream.java:154)
        at org.mortbay.http.BufferedOutputStream.write(BufferedOutputStream.java:129)
        at org.mortbay.http.HttpOutputStream.write(HttpOutputStream.java:438)
        at org.mortbay.http.HttpOutputStream.write(HttpOutputStream.java:430)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletOut.write(ServletOut.java:35)
        at org.apache.cocoon.components.notification.Notifier.notifyHTML(Notifier.java:142)
        at org.apache.cocoon.components.notification.Notifier.notify(Notifier.java:99)
        at org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.service(CocoonServlet.java:1190)

IIRC, the problem is that Batik closes the output stream, and a
workaround needed to be put in Cocoon.

Anyway, with a patched Cocoon and CVS trunk FOP, images do appear, but
there were various errors:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=104358488604302&q=p3

> Anyway, what exactly are the problems? Can you tell me how to reproduce
> them? Maybe I can help.

Thanks for the offer.  At some stage I'll find time to narrow down the
problem further, and then submit some decent bug reports.  Right now I am
in mortal combat with Cocoon..

--Jeff